[Techtalk] Aztech USB External modem configuration

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Tue Oct 29 11:50:29 EST 2002

Hi, Linda,

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 22:22, linda ling wrote:

>      My  name is Linda.I'm seeking help from those familiar with USB
> external modem.I've an external USB Aztech UM9800 meodem and i need to
> install the device driver for the modem so that the modem will be detected
> when i setup an internet connection.I have the device driver  for Linux
> environment in a floppy and i don't know how to start from.

First off, this is a Winmodem. The Aztech uses an SGS Thompson ST7554 or
ST7550 chipset, depending on when it was made.  Those chipsets are not
supported by Linux at all, and I wasn't even aware there was a Linux
driver for it.  The fact that you have a driver for Linux means someone
has made it work, though, so it *should* be possible.

I'm afraid I'll need more information from you before I know how to
start.

-Where did you get the file on the floppy from?  The manufacturer?
linmodems.org?  or???
-Also, what form is the driver in:  a gzipped tarball?  an rpm?  Is it
for Red Hat specifically or Linux in general?
-Also, for many of the Winmodems the rpm versions of the drivers are
kernel version-specific.  Which version of the kernel are you running?

If it's an rpm and it's for the RedHat and your kernel this will be
really easy.  If not you are probably looking and recompiling your
kernel to add the support.  That's not as scary as it sounds to most
folks who haven't done it before.

You have just run into one thing that most newcomers to Linux don't
realize:  not all hardware that works on Windows is supported under
Linux.

Anyway, come back with some answers to the questions and we can probably
help you figure it out.

All the best,
Caity