[Techtalk] NIS: Solaris 8 server, RH 8 client -- authentication not working

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 24 16:07:15 EST 2002

Hi, everyone,

OK, I'm doing something simple and stupid wrong, but... I can't get NIS authentication to work on RH 8.  I'll admit I've only done NIS on Solaris (with Irix clients), so this is all new to me.  Oh, and yeah, I read the HOWTO and did everything suggested.

-shadow passwords are off (yuck!)
-NIS client is binding to the NIS server -- no errors there at bootup
-nis is in the appropriate places in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file (can provide the text if anyone wants to see it)
-/etc/yp.conf file:

#
domain <MYDOMAIN> server <nisserver fqdn>

-+:::::: added to /etc/passwd file

-/etc/pam.d/login file <needs to be tightened up later>

#%PAM-1.0
auth		requisite	/lib/security/pam_unix.so
auth		required	/lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth		required 	/lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account		required	/lib/security/pam_unix.so
password	required	/lib/security/pam_pwcheck.so	nullok
password	required	/lib/security/pam_unix.so	nullok use_first_pass use_authtok
session		required	/lib/security/pam_unix.so
session		required	/lib/security/pam_limits.so
session		optional	/lib/security/pam_console.so

If I try to do a ypcat hosts or ypcat passwd it tells me it can't bind to the server it seemed to bind to fine at boot time.  I don't get it.

I'm not even worrying about automounting home directories yet.  The necessary home directories for testing exist.  I first want to get my Linux box talking to my Solaris box.

Help!

Thanks,
Caity