[Techtalk] Re: [Grrltalk] Documentation (was: Mandrake/Linux newbie deep in confusion about apache/advx)

Meredydd Luff meredydd at everybuddy.com
Tue Oct 22 20:17:07 EST 2002

(keeping on techtalk as well, cause I'm not sure where this stuff should lie
- maybe even on programming@?)

While this subject is under discussion, I'd like to stick my oar in:

A. P. I. Documentation.

One of the above words does not fit with the others. Why? For all the reasons
Jenn just talked about. It's absolutely INFURIATING to pick up a powerful
piece of code with a proper extensions mechanism and not have a clue how to
do it. The same issues as for newbie Linux docs apply - even when they're
there, existing API docs often assume a thorough knowledge of the inner
workings of the program, which is something an API is specifically designed
to *avoid* you having to know.

I try to document what I do, and keep it current, but I rarely if ever get
any feedback, because any developer who (for example) wants to use my MSN
library is not used to there being any API docs, and so has a severely
atrophied RTFM instinct. If they even take the initiative to contact me and
ask for help, I have to try and find a balance between being helpful for each
individual case and just saying "the docs are in <directory> go read them!"

And so we're trapped - few docs are written because it's boring to do, and
even if they *are* written, they're hardly ever read. They're not read
because there generally aren't any...

OK, I'll stop fuming now, because it's not an issue I ought to be going red
in the face about, but it irritates me a lot of the time. If anyone has the
time and inclination to give me feedback on my documentation style (which I'm
sure is far from perfect), check:

http://blackhole:81/msn/apidoc.php
http://www.everybuddy.com/eb-lite/ (both docs sections)

Meredydd