[Techtalk] PHP and MySQL installation

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Tue Oct 22 00:35:29 EST 2002

I'm having a bit of a problem with a PHP installation - a problem
that shouldn't be there.

1) This is on a RH 8.0 box

2) I've installed RPMs for mysql - server, client, devel

3) I'm compiling php from source (from the php.net site) because I
want to include some things like xslt, wddx, etc.

4) In the configure stage, I've chosen to use
--with-mysql=/path/to/mysql because I'm also installing mod_perl, and
the php install directions specifically warn against using the
bundled libraries because it might cause conflicts.

5) RH installs header files in /usr/include/mysql, libraries in
/usr/lib/mysql, and binaries in /usr/bin

6) During the configure stage, the script complains that it "Cannot
find header files under /usr/include/mysql" - I've also tried all of
the other directories (/usr/lib/mysql and /usr/bin) to no avail.

Clearly I'm missing something, but I have no idea what it is.

Thanks!
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain.net     http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet."
Frederick Buechner