[Techtalk] Quirks of RH8 (was: Re: RH8--no gcc??)

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Sun Oct 20 21:20:39 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 21:05, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 07:53, lain iwakura wrote:
> > I suppose RH is assuming that most people who install in
> > Personal Desktop are not into development and therefore are just going to
> > use .rpms to install most programs.
>
> Exactly. That's the difference between a workstation and a desktop --
> this installation mode is geared towards all those users outside who are
> intimidated if the see you compiling stuff and would be frankly scared
> if they should do it by themselves.

And, quite frankly, they're _RIGHT_.

Dancer is currently in the process of converting the place he works to a
mostly-Linux environment. Lots and lots of people there who don't know
much about computers other than what they need to get the job done, and
don't WANT to know. And really, why should they?

Dancer doesn't know, and doesn't want to know, how to do the clerical
work, or run the payroll, or keep the customers happy. They don't want
to know how to do his job. They depend on each other, and it works.

And that's the sort of person that RedHat's 'dumbed down' desktops are
aimed at. And it -works- for what Dancer's doing.

So long as RedHat also has a system that _I_ would be happy with .. I
don't see a problem. :) Different strokes for different folks.

Jenn V.
(but I actually use Debian most of the time. Ahem...)

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/