[Techtalk] Quirks of RH8 (was: Re: RH8--no gcc??)

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Sun Oct 20 13:05:55 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 07:53, lain iwakura wrote:
> Mandi, Carla et al...
> Thanks a bunch for helping--because of your comments I figured out what
> went wrong during installation.  I just want to post this in case there
> are other newbies like me who 'kinda' need the development tools and who
> also uses RH.
>
> In RH 8 they actually added one more option to the list of 'types of
> installation'.  Options include a web server, a database server,
> workstation...etc.  The option that got me in trouble was the Personal
> Desktop.  If you ever, EVER, need to use any gnu compilers, DON'T install
> the Personal Desktop mode (or choose custom install, sugg. by Carla).
> Installing Workstation mode did the trick.  Frankly I find that a bit
> strange...I suppose RH is assuming that most people who install in
> Personal Desktop are not into development and therefore are just going to
> use .rpms to install most programs.

Exactly. That's the difference between a workstation and a desktop --
this installation mode is geared towards all those users outside who are
intimidated if the see you compiling stuff and would be frankly scared
if they should do it by themselves. Think of people working at a company
doing normal office stuff with their PCs: mailing, websurfing,
text-rpcoessing, spreadsheets, ... this does not include compiling stuff
usually. Although I didn't read our manuals I'm fairly sure that the
installation options are described in there and that it'd be obvious
that you can't do development on a "Personal Desktop". If all else
fails, read the manual ;-).

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647