Build single kernel module (was: Re: [Techtalk] Linmodem, )

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri Oct 18 23:10:14 EST 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 01:26:19AM +0200 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Nils Philippsen thought:
> On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 00:37, caitlynmaire at earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > time it takes to do one with Win2K.  The only issue has been linmodem
> > drivers.  There were nice binary ones for 7.3, but it's not yet true for
> > 8.0.  So... I do have to recompile the kernel now, which makes things
> > take longer.
>
> Isn't it possible to just build the driver module for the installed
> kernel (should take much less time)?
>
> Usually to build a module for a packaged RH kernel, you do this:
>
> - in /usr/src/linux-2.4.xyz:
> 1) remove "custom" from EXTRAVERSION in Makefile (or supply fixed
> EXTRAVERSION in make calls later)
> 2) copy the matching config from configs/kernel-config... to ./.config
> 3) make clean dep
> - in module source:
> 4) adjust Makefile etc. to find kernel headers
> 5) run make etc. to build module
> 6) insmod to test
> 7) copy to final destination

Nils,

Would you mind expanding on that a bit please?  I've wanted to build a
single module or two in the past and have ended up doing whole kernels
instead.  Could you elaborate for the case of (for example)
/usr/src/linux-2.4.7-10/drivers/scsi/seagate.c?  Last time I did

cp <last.config> ./.config
make oldconfig
  # select seagate.o as module
make dep
make modules
make modules_install

but that remade _all_ of the modules rather than just the seagate.o
module.

Thanks,

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)