[Techtalk] Linmodem, was: Is Linux 2.4.18 Really That Unstable?

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Oct 18 01:26:19 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 00:37, caitlynmaire at earthlink.net wrote:

> time it takes to do one with Win2K.  The only issue has been linmodem
> drivers.  There were nice binary ones for 7.3, but it's not yet true for
> 8.0.  So... I do have to recompile the kernel now, which makes things
> take longer.

Isn't it possible to just build the driver module for the installed
kernel (should take much less time)?

Usually to build a module for a packaged RH kernel, you do this:

- in /usr/src/linux-2.4.xyz:
1) remove "custom" from EXTRAVERSION in Makefile (or supply fixed
EXTRAVERSION in make calls later)
2) copy the matching config from configs/kernel-config... to ./.config
3) make clean dep
- in module source:
4) adjust Makefile etc. to find kernel headers
5) run make etc. to build module
6) insmod to test
7) copy to final destination

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647