[Techtalk] NO Start

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Thu Oct 17 21:24:39 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 18:10, Andrew wrote:

> 	I need to know how to get to the CL. Several times I have
> been able to load the OS but get caught in the GUI loop problem. Is
> there a key combination that gets one to the CL.

[Ctl] [Alt] [F2] or [Ctl] [Alt] [Bkspc] should get you to a prompt.

> 	The next thing is,, what CL commands would get me to the
> original "hda6" so I can edit it, from hdd or hdc. Is it something
> like /hda6/etc/fstab/?

You'd have to mount it, unless you gave it a mount point during the
install of the system on the new disk. If you left it as the first disk
on the first IDE channel, then it will still be numbered the same,
you'll just have to create a mount point (as root, say "mkdir
/mnt/olddrive") and then mount it (again, as root, something like "mount
-t ext2 /dev/hda6 /mnt/olddrive", only change the ext2 to ext3 if you
were using that).  Then you can cd to the /mnt/olddrive and you'll find
the old /etc/fstab there.

> 	The original problem seemed to be in ect/fstab, as a Ethernet
> failure on hda6.

That doesn't make sense to me.  fstab is the FileSystem TABle file (or
so I've assumed), which at any rate tells the kernel how to mount and
access various drives.  fstab shouldn't have anything to do with an
ethernet controller.  modules.conf would be the place for configuration
stuff on other devices like pci cards, and scsi drivers and like stuff.
Perhaps you can get access to your logs in /var and see what was going
on.  I don't know which would be the best ones to check...

> 	Does anyone here have an affinity for their keyboard?  I do
> like my "old" Mac, MacPro by Key Tronic, keyboard. It is nice to use
> it again, I am going to look for a PC model. (Maybe this should be a
> different topic?) Any experience with split keyboards?

I use a M$ Natural keyboard, which I rather like.  It's not goofy enough
to get me totally out of whack for working at another keyboard, but does
allow my hands a more natural position.

regards,
Beth
--