[Techtalk] Is Linux 2.4.18 Really That Unstable?

mc mcgonzalez at att.net
Wed Oct 16 14:39:07 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 08:40, Julie wrote:

> It's starting to sound more like ext3.  Which is really a bummer
> because I like the journalling.  It was taking forever to run
> fsck on 240GB back when I was running ext2 ...
>
> I'm very sure it's not the memory -- the problems started as soon
> as I loaded 2.4.18 and would go away when I switched back to 2.4.2-2.
> Then I loaded 2.4.19 to get ATA133 support, and it was even worse
> (perhaps because I was up to 300GB ;-), so I switched back to 2.4.18.
> I don't want to give up ext3 if I don't have to ;-(

I have had similar problems with lockups and errors on my RH 7.3
2.4.18-3 install.  I have tested the memory a couple of times and ran
some IBM diagnostics on the Hard drive.  I am pretty sure it is hardware
related, but haven't been able to pin it down.

FWIW, either the box locks up tighter than a drum, no keyboard action,
can't even log in remotely, or I will get random seg faults when trying
to open certain programs, and only a reboot will get them opening again
without errors.

I have these symptoms with both ext2 and ext3 :(

--
mc
I haven't lost my mind,