[Techtalk] Is Linux 2.4.18 Really That Unstable?

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Wed Oct 16 12:37:37 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 10:40, Julie wrote:

> I'm very sure it's not the memory -- the problems started as soon
> as I loaded 2.4.18 and would go away when I switched back to 2.4.2-2.
> Then I loaded 2.4.19 to get ATA133 support, and it was even worse
> (perhaps because I was up to 300GB ;-), so I switched back to 2.4.18.
> I don't want to give up ext3 if I don't have to ;-(

Well, without checking the memory you can't rule out the memory.
Perhaps the bad memory is beyond where the 2.4.2-2 kernel was loading,
and perhaps the later kernels are loading into parts of the memory that
are bad.  At any rate it's very easy to rule out, and you'll feel stupid
later if it does turn out that some memory is bad.

regards,
Beth
P.S-you'd probably get more help and less speculation if you posted more
about the nature of the crashes...
--
  /\/\    Beth Johnson
 / o o\   Cosmic Wonderer