[Techtalk] OT but I'm desperate.... Windows....!

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Oct 16 10:40:51 EST 2002

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 09:49, Michelle Howson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I hate to do this to you all, but it's 3am and my options are pretty
> narrow...  I did a google as best I could, but nothing turned up.  So
> here's hoping someone out there has an inkling what might be my problem.
>
> Simply, my primary box is a windows box, and it's taken to spontaneously
> rebooting itself with no obvious cause - nothing freezes up, I'm generally
> just sitting doing -nothing- and it will just reboot, flashing a blue
> screen up far too quickly for me to see it.
<snip>

This is a common problem with dommed Windblows. The #1 cause of this behavior
is a flaky power supply. Instead of slowing down when the power sags,
Windblows loses its mind and reboots. If you are handy with a multimeter, you
can try doing some hot-testing to see if the PS is delivering steady, correct
voltage.

Even easier is to swap in a good power supply and see what happens. I
recommend PC Power & Cooling, theirs are first-rate. Low-quality power
supplies are responsible for all sorts of mysterious miseries, and there are
more of these than good ones.

Tuff Test Pro is a nice hardware tester and it costs only $29.95. It fits on a
floppy, and tests the hardware directly. Try this first, it tests memory,
motherboard, and CPU. www.tufftest.com

Hardwareguys.com is a great resource, see
http://www.hardwareguys.com/picks/power.html

My money is on bad power supply.

--
Carla Schroder