[Techtalk] Is Linux 2.4.18 Really That Unstable?

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Wed Oct 16 10:18:55 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 00:08, Julie wrote:
> Greets,
>
> I'm having near-constant crashes from 2.4.18.

Check your memory!  Search for memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com, it
installs onto a floppy as a bootable utility to check your computer's
memory.

I'd suspect a hardware problem first.  I've found the 2.4.18 kernel to
be very stable.  The only time I've ever had problems with Linux
crashing (not just apps, but the whole system), was with bad memory.

regards,
Beth
--
  /\/\    Beth Johnson