[Techtalk] Is Linux 2.4.18 Really That Unstable?

Carlo Hamalainen ch at uqconnect.net
Wed Oct 16 21:59:00 EST 2002

Hi,

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Lorne Gutz wrote:
>       I believe your problem is with ext3.  We use ext2, and I
> don't believe we have had a crash that could be attributed
> to 2.4.18
>
> 	We did some testing of ext3, but they were abandoned
> rather quickly.  ext3 is not a mature produce yet.

Err, ext3 is that bad? What problems did you have?

My office computer and my girlfriend's office computer have run 2.4.18 and
2.4.19 for a while now, and we get uptimes well into 3 months and more.

The only weirdness is that my Pentium-II occasionally reboots itself. I
suspect that it's flaky hardware. Has anyone else had this happen? A line
turns up in "last" showing:

reboot   system boot  2.4.19           Tue Oct  8 06:36          (00:10)

But that's quite mysterious since the kernel knew that it was about to
reboot. Any ideas?

-- Carlo