[Techtalk] IDE tape drive issues and advice

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Wed Oct 16 00:00:38 EST 2002

Hiya,

I have an IDE tape drive - a Seagate STT20000A. I'm running RH 8.0

RH definitely finds the drive, and tells me it's at /dev/ht0.

I can tar a small file onto the tape, it seems to work (I hear the
right noises), but I can't list or retrieve the file. When I try to
tar multiple files, I the server totally freezes. I have to unplug
it. The diagnostics for linux that I got from seagates site couldn't
recognize the drive.

Any ideas?

A side, related question: I'm working on a new server configuration.
I will have 3 servers (mail, web, database/application/cvs servers),
and a forth (another database/application) on the way, all need
backup. I have this one IDE 10/20 GB tape drive to back them up, so
far. Now at this point, this is enough capacity - but not for long.
Tape backups take time and processor power. But I also want
simplicity (I don't want 4 tape drives.)

What's the best thing to do in this situation? Buy a large capacity
SCSI tape drive (and wince at the price)? Which server do I hang it
on? Should I just use trusty rsync and tar (or nfs and tar), or go
with something like amanda or arkeia?

Back it up on one big hard drive? (I actually just got a very
reasonably priced 80 G firewire drive that I attach to my Mac. I
could use this to back the servers up. Big disadvantage is that I
don't get offsite backup with that method.) And a related security
question - if I'm already running samba and netatalk behind a
firewall, should I just stick with using one of those, or try using
nfs?

Suggestions?

adthanksvance!!
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain.net     http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet."
Frederick Buechner