[Techtalk] Setting up Majordomo

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Sun Oct 13 12:30:57 EST 2002

> By the way, if anyone has any suggestions or tips on Majordomo, I'd be
> happy to hear them.

Unfortunately, my tip on majordomo is "Just start off with Mailman and skip
Majordomo entirely." No, really!  I used majordomo for years and although
for the most part I liked it, when I switched to mailman I discovered that
almost my entire wishlist (or rather, the wishlist generated by users'
requests) had already been implemented.  And much of the nifty stuff I'd
want now is coming in 2.1, which is coming Real Soon Now (yeah, I could just
run the beta, but I don't have enough time to fuss over my listserv at the
moment.) I get the impression that it's more actively developed than
majordomo, but it has been a while since I was using majordomo primarily and
my perception is probaby skewed because I hang out on the mailman-developers
list to find out what's going on.

Of course, this advice comes a bit late since I assume you've already set it
up.  (And yes, I got told not to use majordomo after I'd set it up too, so I
ignored it.  Mind you it wasn't mailman that was being recommended then...
don't recall what it was.)

Some potentially more related-to-majordomo tips:

Don't ever let someone subscribe majordomo at hostname to one of the lists.
Or maybe don't let people who'd make this mistake admin any of your lists.
Erm, not that I had this problem with someone... nooo... :)  I don't even
want to know how it happened or how she managed to authorize the
subscription...

And if your list archives are moderately big, majordomo may not be able to
send them to people who request them.  We had a max limit on our mailserver
that hadn't ever come up 'till one of my friends tried to get the server to
send him the month's archives.

More positively: I hear the majorcool web-interface for majordomo is pretty
nifty, but I couldn't find it *anywhere* when I tried to get it (I guess the
website was down for a few days or something) so I can't say much more.

 Terri