[Techtalk] Mailserver - which one to install?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Oct 10 09:44:26 EST 2002

On Thursday 10 October 2002 08:31, Katie Bechtold wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 09:49:02PM +1000, Mary wrote:
> > I have
> > configured qmail and found it relatively good to configure and the
> > documentation adequate.
>
> <nitpick>
> I would describe qmail's documentation as more than just "adequate."
> I think Life With Qmail (http://www.lifewithqmail.org/) is
> absolutely excellent.  I could even imagine administrators choosing
> qmail on the basis of this document along.  But maybe I'm nuts. :)
> </nitpick>

Yes, 'life with qmail' is excellent. A good thing, too, because the qmail list
is hostile and unhelpful.

I use Postfix. Great mta, and the book "Postfix" by Richard Blum is
outstanding, especially for beginning mail admins, as it also covers DNS and
connectivity, and various types of configuration. And the Postfix list is
quite civilized.

If licensing is an issue, qmail is not GPL. I'm not quite sure what it is.

qpopper is a nice POP3 server, easy to configure.

--
Carla Schroder