[Techtalk] Mailserver - which one to install?

Gina Lanik geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at
Thu Oct 10 15:43:08 EST 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 09:49:02PM +1000, Mary wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002, Gina Lanik wrote:
> > Which mail-server would you recomment? I've seen packages (this will
> > be on a Debian system) like cyrus, teapop, qpopper, etc. but
> > absolutely have -no- idea which one to install/test. This mail-server
> > should serve my domain and in the future my SO's, so no
> > high-volume-corporate traffic to be expected. What are the advantages,
> > pitfalls, etc. with above mentioned?
>
> OK, there are two things you will probably need:
[very good expn about mail-basics]
> I don't have any experience setting up IMAP or POP programs, do people
> have recommendations?

Thanx Mary for those details, I'm already pretty sure about which
components to use, sorry I didn't make that clear before... =)
I had some difficulties describing what exactly it is/was I'm looking
for...

Planned setup:

MTA: probably sendmail as I know this one best from the "big four".
MDA: procmail
MUA: mutt

It's the POP daemon I'm not sure about... cyrus would be "overkill" for
taking care of 2 domains and the others I don't really know. I will
probably not have the need for IMAP so if it's pop-only that should be
fine.

Cheers,

Gina
--
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.