[Techtalk] X forwarding via proxy

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat Oct 5 10:58:45 EST 2002

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 08:45:52PM +0200 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Isabelle HURBAIN thought:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got a little problem...
> I have to access a computer outside my private network with an X
> forwarding via a proxy :
>
> me| telnet  <=> proxy| ssh  <=> distant computer| telnet
>   | ssh                                         | ssh
>
> but I have absolutely no idea of how to do it - as it is difficult to
> "export DISPLAY" to a private network... (with masquerading)
> I have a decent control of the proxy (it is my boyfriend's computer ;) ).
>
> Does anyone have an idea ?

If you're using ssh, it should all be automatic.  just ssh in to the
remote box and run the remote X app.  There are two things that need to be
in place for this to happen.  The ssh server (both the remote machine and
the proxy) need to have X11Forwarding set.  In /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

	X11Forwarding yes
	X11DisplayOffset 10

while the ssh client should have ForwardX11 set.  In /etc/ssh/ssh_config:

        ForwardX11 yes

You can check this by connecting with ssh and doing "echo $DISPLAY".  It
should point to something like

ip.of.remote.box:10.0

This display gets routed back to your box over the ssh connection.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)