[Techtalk] Samba servers and mixed platform networks

Betty Johnson bettyj at interbaun.com
Sat Oct 5 10:01:35 EST 2002

I am doing a consulting job with a firm that is running a file server
using Red Hat Linux 7.2.

The office is a workgroup and has Windows machines and Macintosh machines.

Samba seems to work fine with the Windows machines, as it was designed to
do.

Netatalk seems to work fine with the classic Mac machines using Max OS 9.2
or lower, as it was designed to do.

The problems start with Mac OS X.  They keep getting disconnected from the
server. They cannot open files directly from the server, they need to
transfer to their desktops first.

I am not all that familiar with Macintosh but I thought that OS X was
supposed to be so great because of the Samba technology built-in. I guess
that will be fine for connecting to Windows machines. However, should I
be using Samba here? Someone I know suggested I should look into NFS
rather than Samba.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, and thanks.
--
The real art of conversation is not only to say the right  thing in the
right place, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting