[Techtalk] X11 config-4

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Fri Oct 4 19:52:35 EST 2002

Earlier I wrote this:
> > I don't know about the twin head stuff, but this above you can't do.
> > The nVidia drivers are modules for a kernel and if you have updated
> > your kernel the stock rpm won't work.

Which caused Andrew some distress.  What I meant was, if your kernel has
been updated since nVidia built their rpms, then you'll need to compile
or rebuild.  If not (and since you didn't get error messages, that seems
to be the case) then you can just install them via rpm and not worry.
I, on the other hand, had updated twice since the RH rpms were built and
had to go the tarball route.

But you still have to edit your configuration file, as nVidia explains;
there's more than one edit and I don't know if there would be some way
to do that at the command line ("load glx"), which seemed to be what you
were saying?

Anyway, here's the relevant parts of my config file:

Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

    Load        "dbe"  	# Double buffer extension

# This is the GLcore module.  Comment out for nVidia drivers.

#    Load  "GLcore"

    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "fbdevhw"
# This is the dri module.  Comment out for nVidia drivers.

#    Load  "dri"

# glx module.  Enable for nVidia drivers.

    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"

#EndSection

(Later on in the file:)

# Device configured by me:

Section "Device"
        # Use Driver "nvidia" for nVidia drivers
        # Use Driver "nv" for XFree drivers
	Identifier "nVidia Corporation|NV11 GeForce2 MX DDR"
	Driver "nvidia"
#	Driver "nv"  # Commented out because I'm using the nVidia
        VideoRam    65536
	BoardName "Unknown"
EndSection

H(ope)T(his)H(elps)