[Techtalk] Re: /etc/hosts

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Fri Oct 4 14:04:17 EST 2002

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 05:15:03AM -0700, Therese Gustafsson said:

> There's no sign of ServerName or VirtualHost in
> httpd.conf or ListenAddress.  But it's not really
> important. Everything works, it's just annoying when
> Apache says "Apache server at the.old.hostname" when
> you go to a nonexisting page. The server is just
> temporary and I'm the only one accessing it. It just
> confused me what to put as hostname when you don't
> have one.

If ypu don't have a hostname, just invent one :)
At least this works for most services, maybe except running a mailserver
(so it should not cause any problems for you with only a webserver).

As to the ServerName in Apache: strange.
Do you know exactly what conf-file(s) your apache is using? Have you
tried grep'ing for the old hostname in any possible apacheconf (fex
every file under /etc/httpd/conf or /etc/apache/conf?)?

And you restarted Apache after changing name, of course? (I assume you
did, I even think I remember you said you did...)

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.