[Techtalk] Debian 3 and X-server

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Oct 1 23:52:25 EST 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:19:14AM -0700, Dave North wrote:
> As usual, instead of being able to say "do this!" it just means more
> tiresome questions...
> 	Debian does not install any X server at all just by running the
> installer, so I don't know what steps you've taken to get X going.

Oh, does it ever not install an X server.  When I tried things, I managed to
install half X 4 and half X 3 stuff.  I ended up with some interesting error
messages before firguring that one out. :P  So my suggestion is that you
make doubly sure that you've got X in the same version, just in case.

On a related note... X 4 is really slow to start up compared to X 3 on this
machine.  I haven't looked into it deeply yet, but is there any info there
on reducing the startup times?  I'd hate to have it, say, wasting time
probing for hardware that won't ever be in my computer...

 Terri