[Techtalk] Mandrake 9.0 - networking isues

claudia monsviridinus at tin.it
Wed Oct 2 00:33:27 EST 2002

Il lun, 2002-09-30 alle 16:37, Davis, Jennifer ha scritto:
> Hi:
> 	Normally I'm a Slackware user, but I downloaded the new Mandrake 9.0
> this weekend because I like shiny things.  Actually, my motivation was to
> try out GNOME 2.0.  I seem to have gotten the OS installed, but for some
> reason, I just can't get networking to go.  It won't connect at boot, the
> operation times out.  When I go into the Mandrake Control Centre, and go to
> the networking option, I click on connect and it times out.  The OS seems to
> recognise the card.
>
> The relevant specs on the PC
> Motherboard:	K7S6A On-Board Sound
> Chip:		Duron 1Ghz
> RAM:		256MB
> Network:	3C905
> Video:		ATI Rage IIc
> Sound:		SBLive 5.1
> CDROM:	IDE-DVD-ROM on /dev/hdc& IDE-Sony CD/RW on /dev/sd0
> Hard Drives	an 8.4GB for Linux and an 850MB for Windows 95 (for Mame)
>
> DualBoot W95/Linux
>
> If there was an error message, I could probably figure things out on my own.
> Does anyone have any idea?  I assume it's an IRQ conflict, but I am not sure
> as I can't see anything wrong..
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> > Jennifer Davis
> > Constitutional & Administrative Law - Droit administratif &
> > constitutionnel
> > Department of Justice Canada - Ministère de la Justice du Canada

I don't have any particular idea : I'm not good at "hardware managing"
but I have two Mandrake installed at home and I only can tell you how I
manage connecting with these two.

Let's start:
there is a P3 333MHz with MDK 7.2 and a P4 1.8GHz with MDK 8.2.
The first one is the gateway.
usually I configure the network with the tool Linuxconf (I don't know
if  you have it on MDK9....).
I insert ip address,gateway,dns,hostname etcetc for both machines and
usually all ends well.
The only thing is that I have a script that I run on the gateway before
connecting for masquerading ( on the other way the gateway will connect
but I want be able to do that from the client).
If I want to connect I type ifup ppp0 on the gateway shell.

Probably this won't help you : is only the configuration of a home-made
LAN!

Anyway if it were a hardware problem you could type dmesg (as root I
think) and you should have all the information about your devices or
type ifconfig eth0 and see if the device is up or down (in this case
type ifconfig eth0 ip_address up)...of course this is only if you have
to route your traffice through your ethernet....