[Techtalk] Debian 3 and X-server

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Tue Oct 1 12:50:59 EST 2002

claudia:
> Thank you very much for your explanations : as you probably guess I'm
> new to Debian.

You're welcome. I suspect Ian Murdoch understands Debian mostly, but no
matter how long I use it, I don't. So don't feel bad.

> I failed because when I type configure I have some errors : the script
> fail in finding X libraries and headers.

Hmm. Before doing anything else, try this combo:
	apt-get -f install
	apt-get -f dist-upgrade
Repeat both steps until (a) config errors stop or (b) you get the same one
over and over. If the latter, send it in and maybe we can figure something
out.

> I modified configure script putting in it their path,but I have other
> errors.
> So I decided to try to install the Desktop managers with tasksel as you
> suggested too : now thy're installed but when I login KDE tries to start
> but dramatically fails!

I've seen that! Basically, I think the woody installer sucks, especially
in setting up X. I've had it fail, then started again and have it succeed
doing (as far as I could tell) exactly the same things in the same order.
	I had much better luck with sarge, but don't you try that; it
changes every day.
	If the above doesn't work out, another silly trick is to find
someone with a similar unit and ask them to forward you their XF86config-4
and just plug it in, then edit to taste.
	You can do a diff with your current setup, note what's hardware
specific, and fuss with it. As long as you don't try to overcook your
screen, it's not _too_ dangerous. If you get lucky and there's a matching
machine out there, you're on easy street.
	My own unit has an older ati card with an 800x600 screen. If
either of those parameters matches up, it might be useful for you.

Yet another trick is to take the XF86config from a previous successful
install (you saved it, right?) and "cheat" the paramters from it. I do
this all the time. You have to figure out the different layouts they use,
but it's not that hard.
	If you don't have an old one lying around, another cheat is just
to install RedHat or SuSE or something that does a good setup job, then
use that XF86config as a template.