[Techtalk] viewing CD-RW disks in DOS

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Tue Oct 1 13:20:45 EST 2002

>[Techtalk] viewing CD-RW disks in DOS

>Any one know how to do this or if it can be done? The software I'm using is
>EasyCD Creator.

I found that my CD-RW disks are unreadable in most CD-ROM drives, though
it works fine as long as I use the CD-RW drive.

What you need is a DOS device driver for the CD-RW drive. IF the drive
manufacturer has one, it would be on their website, typically under
support. Unfortunately, most of the newest drives do NOT have DOS
drivers nor will they (in fact, they may not have one for Win95 either).

Now, if the CD-RW is SCSI, there is generally a SCSI CD-ROM driver for
DOS which may be able to use the CD-RW as a SCSI CD-ROM. Check the SCSI
card manufacturer for the driver.

Lastly, it is dangerous to try, but sometimes a CD-ROM driver for DOS
that is from the same general family of disk drives (a driver for a
Yamaha CD-ROM of about the same vintage as a Yamaha CD-RW...) will allow
the CD-RW drive to "look" like a CD-ROM drive to DOS. It doesn't always
work and can look up your PC.

Good Luck!

Alvin