[Techtalk] Internet connection weirdness

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Tue Oct 1 11:36:35 EST 2002

I had some issues last year with Slackware not being able to access the
web. I was able to under Windows95, but not Slackware.

It turned out that my ISP changed the physical address of their DNS
servers. What you might do is check the DNS address in /etc/resolve.conf
and compare them between SuSE and Slackware. There may be one address
that is different, making the difference with your abiltiy to connect.

You might also check with some of your local Network gurus for a couple
of local DNS servers in your area.

Last year there was a lot of attacks going on and some were aimed at the
DNS servers, bringing them down at some sites. So, the fix was to change
the physical addresses. This screwed up a lot of peoples connections. Or
so the rumors went :)

Alvin