[Techtalk] Internet connection weirdness

Erin Raasch eraasch at chorus.net
Tue Oct 1 10:10:51 EST 2002

10/1/02 7:51:12 AM, Beth Johnson <linux.chick at verizon.net> wrote:

> [Ack, do you have a wrap set?  I get one line per paragraph in the reply.]

??Don't know - I'll check when I get home.

>> traceroute to 64.73.25.70 (64.73.25.70), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
>>  1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  3 ms  1 ms  1 ms
><snip>
>>  6  msfc-a2-core1.binc.net (64.73.0.2)  24 ms  29 ms  24 ms
>>  7  * * *
>>  8  * * *
>>  9  * *
>
>The sites with the asteriks are probably set to not report traceroute
>information.  This isn't uncommon.

OK - I don't know enough about internet routing to know, but I was told it was
weird.

>Do you have DNS server addresses set up in your Slack install?

My /etc/resolv.conf is set up exactly the same in Slack as it is in SuSE.

>Did your ISP's DNS servers go down?  Is their information stale?

I have another machine set up with SuSE, so I was able to test them
simultaneously - no problem with the other machine, either - pages loaded
without incident and refresh brought up a current page.

I'm baffled - is there anything that Slackware sets up by default that would
filter particular websites?  Anything that I should look for?

Erin