[Techtalk] Re: Making room for Oracle

Tim White adminlists at objectif.com.au
Fri Nov 29 13:43:36 EST 2002

The command 'df -k' will show you something like the following:

/dev/hda2              5528780   3733616   1514312  72% /
/dev/hda1                51206      8848     39714  19% /boot

Which tells me that my /dev/hda2 partition is mounted under the /
directory and the /dev/hda1 partition is mounted under the /boot
partition.

This command also shows that I have 1514312KBytes or 1.5Gbytes of space
Available.

Other partitions will be used for 'swap' space as well. In my case that
is the /dev/hda3 partition - which can be shown by the 'swapon -s'
command, giving output like:

Filename			Type		Size	Used	Priority
/dev/hda3                       partition	196552	130132	-1

All of the mounting instructions that your system will use to mount
partitions at boot time are contained in the file /etc/fstab.

This will list the partition, where it is mounted, file system type and
then options. Unfortunately RedHat seems to now list the partition in
this file by the partition label rather than the actual device name.

If you run out of room in a partition you have a couple of options.

1) Re-install and don't let the installation decide on the partitioning
scheme.
2) Move files from an under-utilised partition into a temporary space.
Unmount the under-utilised partition and remount it where it can be of
more use. Copy the files back to their original directory (which is now
actually on a different partition).
3) buy another disk
4) use symbolic links to make a link from a directory in an
under-utilised partition to the directory that you want.

I hope this helps.

Tim White