[Techtalk] Chicken

Poppy sylph at cyber-dyne.com
Sat Nov 16 07:28:59 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 05:41, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> In fact, rpmfind (http://fr.rpmfind.net/) lists several beta-versions
> of it already! There they are: for Mandrake, available via cooker,
> seemingly. Someone else will have to explain the cooker "distro".

'Cooker' is Mandrake-unstable. At the moment, it's equivalent to
Mandrake 9.1, I believe. I've had very little trouble in general with
cooker rpms, aside from the standard dependency issues.

> Not being a Mandrake user, I don't know much about it. But my best
> guess would be, if you don't want to upgrade to whatever you need
> for that, get the .src.rpm, then rebuild it. I am sure Mandrake
> have instructions in their manuals or on their website about that.

Website. www.mandrakeuser.org is a very newbie-friendly place to find
Mandrake-specific documentation.

> http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=aspell&submit=Search
> http://fr.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/cooker/cooker/SRPMS/aspell-0.50.2-2mdk.src.html
>
> rpmfind search results are most-recently-released-first, so what
> you want is right at the top.

> binary rpm for it to arrive. (To answer something I didn't touch
> earlier: no, it is not a good idea to stick rpms designed for
> a different distro -- or even for a later version of the distro
> you have -- onto your machine. Or at least, whenever I try, things
> break horribly.)

I've done this with Mandrake 8.1 (In fact, I just upgraded to evolution
1.2 with rpms designed for Mandrake 9.0 --> but I also pay attention
when the gui-frontend to rpm tells me what dependencies I need and what
won't work with the new ones.

In fact, now that I think about it, rpmdrake typically won't let you
install/upgrade rpms unless there are no conflicts. Makes it a little
less likely to break things.

But the src rpm is a much better idea overall. I will have to do that
more often. =)

-- Poppy

Poppy,				  sylph at cyber-dyne.com
Friend of the Penguin