[Techtalk] EXT2-fs error?

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Nov 15 14:40:37 EST 2002

Therese Gustafsson said:

> --- Nils Philippsen
> <nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de> wrote:
>>This looks like a corrupt filesystem or hardware.
>>
>> > Nov 14 18:52:47 tgudv97 kernel: EXT2-fs error
>> (device
>> > ide0(3,1)): ext2_check_page: bad entry in
>> directory
>> > 86: unaligned directory entry - offset=0,
>> > inode=1634232618, rec_len=25710, name_len=108
>>
>> ... some directory contains (at least partially)
>> garbage.
>>
>> > Nov 14 18:52:47 tgudv97 kernel: Remounting
>> filesystem
>> > read-only
>>
>> That's a safety measure the kernel's taken to
>> prevent further confusion
>> on the FS.
>>
>> I would backup the partition (still mounted
>> read-only) and then run the
>> filesystem check on it.
>>

> Thanks for your advice. I ran a filesystem check and
> it found lots and lots of error. I had to run the
> check about 4 times before it said that there was no
> more errors. And now I have som stuff in /lost+found
> that I don't know what to do with. But I haven't found

The files and directories in lost+found are named after the number of the
inode they are stored in. You might want to look into the files and
directories (probably use the "file" command on the files, but it's easier
to identify the directories from their contents though).

> anything that's not working so for the moment
> everything seems ok. Thanks again.

You might want to check the installed packages' integrity with "rpm -Va" if
you use an RPM based distribution. If it complains about missing files, you
can just re-install the package (saving configuration files beforehands to
be on the safe side).

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
   nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de / nils at lisas.de