[Techtalk] Diagnosing a hardware problem (long)

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 14 19:28:33 EST 2002

Hello Vera Childs,
	I am quite new also and can address only a few points. I built a Linux
box after years of only Mac experience,wow, there a lot to learn in my
case. Much of it from list members thank you all.
	Point one I learned, a setting in the bios needs changing to run
several thing in Linux smoothly. The setting is "plug in and Play OS
*off*. I do not know what effect it will have on $indozs. The other is
to make sure the bios has support *on* for usb. I struggled with usb for
a while, after you configure the usb, and think it is not working or it
is just "jerking around the screen" re-boot, it may in fact work after
reboot. That is unusual in Linux but I found, in this usb situation, it
works. It was also dicussed in a google forum. I went through thePS2,
serial route and found the google group thing (restarting) worked.  I am
using a Kensington which has less support (or none) than Logitech.
	 People here are more friendly. So ask here first I always do, there is
a lot of knowledge in this space. Mandrake is my choice, I am waiting
for 9.1 or .2 before changing up from 8.2.

	Andrew