[Techtalk] I want Tux Racer dangit

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Nov 11 11:50:10 EST 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 08:56, Hamster wrote:

> The only reason I made my suggestion was because of your comment of "out of
> the box". I made the incorrect assumption that that meant you werent too
> interested in finding out how it works, cause you just wanted RH to work
> out the box. Sorry for that mistake.
>
> Hamster

Hi H,

That was just whining :)

My attitude has always been that we get all this great software for free, or
low cost, so part of my job as the user is to contribute in whatever way I
can, and to be patient when things don't go quite right. I'm becoming less
patient, though, as the major distributions mature. Driver issues like this
should not happen anymore in the major commercial distros. This is my primary
test machine, I had Mandrake and SuSE on it last year, dual-booted and
torture-tested, and there were no video card issues. I ran Quake, Tux Racer,
and some other shoot em up, didn't have to tweak a thing.

I like RH8 as desktop Linux, it does the boring stuff like email/web/type
letters/spreadsheets etc quite ably. However they did break some things:
first there was the locale issue, now I'm bumping into problems caused by
their removing mp3. The reasons sound good, but it leaves us poor users in a
bit of a pickle. http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_80mm.html It's not good
enough to break things, no matter how noble the excuses- a commercial vendor
should ship a distro with the fixes installed, putting a link on their Web
site to point the user to alternate fixes is rather shoddy. Adding it to
up2date would be nice, too.

Thanks to everyone for good suggestions, I got the video working: 16-bit color
depth fixed the acceleration issue, and restoring the original libs and
drivers, which had been much messed with. Now there is no sound, thanks to
mp3 being gutted... tally ho...!

--
Carla Schroder