[Techtalk] I want Tux Racer dangit

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Nov 11 02:35:33 EST 2002

Sad tale of woe: all I want is to play Tux Racer. Such a simple want. However
I need hardware acceleration enabled. Hmph. God hates me, the fates are
against me, and even my cat has attitude because of this.

video card: Voodoo 3 1000
OS: RH8
other specs on request

Originally resolution was set at 1024x768, 24 bit. After YEARS of futzing with
this stupid thing, and lsmod shows ZERO video drivers loaded, and glxinfo
shows DRI not working, I look in the XFreeakin server logs. Well lo and
beholden, in wee tiny type, it says tdfx driver not loaded, and DRI not
enabled, 'cause they won't work at 32bpp. Windows can handle up to 1024x768,
32 bit and full acceleration, no problem, but hey, it does no good to argue.

After cussing something awful, man, you shoulda been there, I change to
1024x768, 16 bit. OK, this time X is happy, the log reports

"(II) LoadModule: "tdfx"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/tdfx_drv.o
(II) Module tdfx: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) TDFX(0): [drm] created "tdfx" driver at busid "PCI:1:0:0""

Yay! I dance for joy. Fire up Tux Racer, and boom! No Tux Racer, and I am
slammed into 640x480 with a groovy sliding desktop. Sheee.

I take a I hate Linux break.

OK. After the break, I restart X, run glxinfo, and it says

"gd error (glide): gd error (glide): grSstSelect:  non-existent SSTgd error
(glide): grSstSelect:  non-existent SSTSegmentation fault"

At 1024x768, 24 bit, glxinfo spits out all kinds of data, the pertinent bit
being

" OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect"

So why would changing the color depth cause it to pitch such a fit?

The EXTREMELY lame RH8 'redhat-config-xfree86' is useless. Might as well edit
Xfree86 config by hand. Xconfigurator was such a lovely utility, it does not
come with RH8. I may download and try it next.

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.DRI has a lot of interesting-looking
information.

but still....

THIS SUCKS!!!

what the HELL is the matter with dommed Red Hat, anyway! This is freaking
2002, I think it is time for this sort of drama to be a thing of the past. If
Mandrake and SuSE can enable hardware acceleration out of the box, why cannot
the esteamed RH itself.

Any useful ideas, and or complementary tantrums, are welcome.
--
Carla Schroder