[Techtalk] Error installing the driver of my 10/100MB Ethernet card

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Sat Nov 9 22:53:55 EST 2002

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 10:33:43AM +0000, Conor Daly wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:56:20PM +1100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
> Malcolm Tredinnick thought:
[...]
> > On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:10:25AM -0800, Samer Yhya wrote:
> > > make full output:
> > > -----------------
> > >
> > > [root at localhost linux-2.4.x]# touch *
> > > [root at localhost linux-2.4.x]# make clean
> > > rm -f *.o
> > > [root at localhost linux-2.4.x]# make
> > > gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__  -I/usr/src/linux/include -O
> > > -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes   -c -o pci-scan.o
> > > pci-scan.c
> > > In file included from /usr/include/linux/fs.h:23,
> >
> > First possible danger sign: if you are building a kernel module, it
> > should not be referring to headers outside of the kernel source tree.
> > Now, if this is a completely standard Red Hat install, then you are
> > probably fine here, since the header files in /usr/include/linux will
> > match those of your currently running kernel. However, that may not
> > always be the case. So possibly there's a small error in the Makefile,
> > but it's hard to say.
>
> Would this all stem from the kernel headers not being installed?  Does
> make go looking other places it it doesn't find the headers in the
> _expected_ place?
>
> [cdaly at Valkerie cdaly]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel-headers
> kernel-headers-2.4.7-10

Possible, but ... Samer mentioned that we are talking about a Red Hat
8.0 system here. In Red Hat 7.3 and Red Hat 8.0, this file is called
glibc-kernheaders -- which represents its purpose more accurately. We
_know_ there are files in that directory on Samer's machine, because
they are exactly what the compiler is complaining about not being able
to compile.

Like I said above, I'm not really sure that the kernel source, or lack
thereof, is the problem here, since on a freshly installed system,
/usr/include/linux/ will match the headers used to build the running
kernel (they are meant to always match the glibc on the box, which is
why they can get out of whack with the headers used to build the
kernel over time).

Cheers,
Malcolm

--