[Techtalk] Error installing the driver of my 10/100MB Ethernet card

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat Nov 9 11:33:43 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:56:20PM +1100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Malcolm Tredinnick thought:
> This is really in response to your subsequent request for debugging
> ideas, but I need to quote the makefile output, so I'm responding in
> this thread.
>
> I could not get to the link you posted subsequently for the source of
> the driver (various errors; possibly I need  a better wet piece of
> string to connect me to the 'net). So I have to guess a little bit.
>
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:10:25AM -0800, Samer Yhya wrote:
> > make full output:
> > -----------------
> >
> > [root at localhost linux-2.4.x]# touch *
> > [root at localhost linux-2.4.x]# make clean
> > rm -f *.o
> > [root at localhost linux-2.4.x]# make
> > gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__  -I/usr/src/linux/include -O
> > -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes   -c -o pci-scan.o
> > pci-scan.c
> > In file included from /usr/include/linux/fs.h:23,
>
> First possible danger sign: if you are building a kernel module, it
> should not be referring to headers outside of the kernel source tree.
> Now, if this is a completely standard Red Hat install, then you are
> probably fine here, since the header files in /usr/include/linux will
> match those of your currently running kernel. However, that may not
> always be the case. So possibly there's a small error in the Makefile,
> but it's hard to say.

Would this all stem from the kernel headers not being installed?  Does
make go looking other places it it doesn't find the headers in the
_expected_ place?

[cdaly at Valkerie cdaly]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel-headers
kernel-headers-2.4.7-10

rpm -ivh kernel-headers-2.4.7-10...rpm

conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)