[Techtalk] HELP:mounting from floppy and save file into floppy

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Thu Nov 7 14:26:35 EST 2002

Hi, Merdydd,

> Really? Last time I remember using it, Solaris used /cdrom and /floppy for
> those devices, and /export for NFS mounts..

Quite so.  Actually /export if for things you are going to share out,
which is why home directories are traditionally in /export/home, which
kind of assumes you are going to use NIS/NFS/autofs to have central home
directories across multiple machines.

OK, how about "most UNIX flavors other than Solaris and most Linux
distros"?

> Slackware, for example, also
> uses /cdrom as a mount point, although I'm willing to believe that's a small
> idiosyncrasy ;-)

Slackware has lots of interesting idiosyncrasies :)

All the best,
Caity