[Techtalk] Re: [Fwd: Re: [Grrls-only] Yet Another Women-in-Linux-HOWTO]

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Thu Nov 7 12:01:10 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 22:31, Jenn Vesperman wrote:

> > > One question: why?
> > >
> > > Who's demanding that you do this - other than yourself?
> >
> > Perhaps the fact that every time I speak, my remarks are answered by a
> > question?  My mother always told me to speak when I was spoken to.  ;-)
>
> I disagree with your mother. :) Sometimes silence is an appropriate
> answer - and sometimes 'I'd rather withdraw from this debate' is.

Agreed.  I think the reason many of us responded with questions for
Jesika is because we wanted to genuinely understand her perspective.  I
still don't and think we basically have incompatible world views.
That's fine.  However, those questions do not place an obligation to
answer.

> My lack of comprehension puts no obligation on you. Not even to explain.

Precisely.  My other feeling is that Jesika is taking these questions as
challenges both to her opinions and her sense of self.  Jesika, they are
neither.  Rather they are a reflection of the fact that we respect your
opinions enough to want to understand where you are coming from.

Regards,
Caity