[Techtalk] msec what is it, and why is it in an hourly cron?

Linda Mayhugh lmayhugh at drizzle.com
Tue Nov 5 12:10:55 EST 2002

It's Mandrake's security program. It makes sure the default security
settings are what it thinks they ought to be and will override any
changes you've made manually. That's why you see it changing permissions
levels and such. The main script the hourly cron calls is
/usr/share/msec.py.

When the system was first installed a security level was chosen, and the
parameters for each of the levels are in that config file. You can
easily tweak the msec.py file to do whatever you actually want it to do
rather than what Mandrake set it for.

Linda M