[Techtalk] Saving in PDF

Glen Strom gstrom at eol.ca
Tue Nov 5 13:42:09 EST 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:04:30 +0100
Isabelle HURBAIN <isabelle.hurbain at free.fr> wrote:

> OpenOffice.org does it, it's a bit complicated though : you have to
> configure the PDF export as a printer (the printing configuration
> tool allows that). Then you can print through it and get a nice pdf ;)

I just finished re-doing my resume in OpenOffice and converting it to
PDF. There's a potential problem with fonts that you'll need to watch
out for.

I believe that the PDF conversion process goes through ghostscript. It
seems that ghostscript has a problem dealing with true type fonts. My
resume was done with a true type font and the PDF looked blocky and
rough. It printed out fine, but the on-screen look was bad. I switched
to a postscript font and re-converted. This time the on-screen view was
fine.

I don't know if this problem is with all true type fonts, but it's
something to check. Someone opening what looks like a damaged or poorly
built resume may assume you don't know what you're doing an toss it out
without trying to print it out first.

--
Glen Strom
gstrom at eol.ca