[Techtalk] HELP:mounting from floppy and save file into floppy

Gina Lanik geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at
Tue Nov 5 10:09:01 EST 2002

Hi Linda,

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:30:08AM +0000, linda ling wrote:
>     Hello everyone!i'm currently facing problem mounting my floppy.I've
> tried a few commands as below but somehow it doesn't work:
>
> 1)mount /mnt/floppy
> 2)mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> 3)change etc/fstab file from    /dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy  ext2      to
>                                 /dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy   vfat

Could you describe the problems and/or maybe give exact error messages?

>       Another problem is how do i compress a file and save it to floppy?I
> wish to choose only specific file from a folder to be compressed and save it
> into a floppy.Please Help.Thanks for anyone interested in my problem.Thank u
> in advance for those willing to help.Thanks.

Generally you can use 'compress', 'gzip' or 'bzip2' to compress a file =)
'compress' will result in 'filename.Z', 'gzip' will result in
'filename.gz', 'bzip2' will result in 'filename.bz2'.

When you have managed to mount the floppy a simple 'cp' of the
compressed file to /mnt/floppy (or whatever the mount-point might be)
should be all you have to do!

Cheers,

Gina
--
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, and a dark side,
and it holds the universe together... -- Carl Zwanzig