[Techtalk] env LANG=C

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Nov 1 09:31:43 EST 2002

Okay, as usual my LUG list is less that helpful, therefore I must turn to my
fellow Linuxchix. (why don't I just come here first? well, OK, I will!)

When using the command env LANG=C to run a program, for example

env LANG=C gnumeric

is it correct to say, this sets the locale for gnumeric as defined within
gnumeric's own code? In order to override the system locale? That C = the
default as coded in the app itself?

Or am I like totally confused? Here are some reference docs I found:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html
http://www.ccd.bnl.gov/bcf/cluster/pgi/pgC++_lib/stdlibug/sta_9169.htm

I can firmly and confidently state that env is a bash command. By dang, got
that much.
--
Carla Schroder