[Techtalk] Installing linux without an ISO

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Tue May 28 17:53:05 EST 2002

Jennifer:
> Back to my original point, if I were to go to Redhat or Mandrake for my
> server, or even debian, is there a way to do a minimal install off a floppy
> or floppies, or do a network install?  (oi do I miss my CD Writer)

I'm pretty sure Mandrake has one. Dunno on RedHat. But a floppy/net
install for Debian is almost (but not quite) its natural state.
	Of course, it's much easier if you use a cd to get started (and
you can get a debian cd set from cheapbytes.com pretty, well, cheap). But
I've done the floppy install and it's not bad at all. Very minimal
download to start.
	But if you seriously want to run debian, installing off the net is
actually the best way to do (and it's highly automated -- very easy). Be
warned if you want to run majordomo, there's no .deb so you'll have to
build it yourself. Also, they default to exim but I'm still a sendmail
kinda guy.
	I would not seriously consider using mandrake for a server. Redhat
would be a good choice. I think debian the best choice of the three, but
between RH and Deb I have no great axe to grind.
	I've found debian woody very stable and a joy to use.