[Techtalk] Zip drive read-only

E. Sterling Wall sterling at sumgai.co.uk
Sun May 26 00:27:11 EST 2002

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Mandrake 8.2 and I can't write to my Zip disks
any more!!!  This is just too weird for words. I can mount the zip drive
just fine, but the system *insists* that the zip is read-only media.
I've tried swapping disks to see if it was the disk itself, but it's
not.

Here's how I've mounted the zip drive:
mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip

Then if I ls -la in /mnt I get
drwxr-xr-x     3    root    root       16384    Jan 1 1970  zip/

I tried to cheat the system by chowning the drive to sterling (my
"normal" username on the system), but I got an error saying that wasn't
allowed -- even though I was running as root at the time.

Any ideas?

- sterling

Sumgai Technology
http://www.sumgai.co.uk