[Techtalk] Backing up to a Windows CD writer

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri May 24 22:49:00 EST 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 09:32:10AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Dave North thought:
> Matt:
> > I have a Windows PC with a CDR working under Win98. My laptop runs RH7.2
> > I want to be able to backup my laptop onto CDs that will be written on the
> > Win98 PC. How?
>
> Matt, I can think of more than one way right off the bat, even without
> tossing in Samba. But rather than go such a circuitous route, my first
> question would be: Is there some compelling reason you can't install Linux
> on the PC? That's probably the roundest wheel we can invent.

My compelling reason is that our illustrious IT Division won't allow me
install linux on the W2k box and won't buy me a CDR for my linux box :-(

I have a directory shared from the W2k box mounted using LinNeighbourhood
(just a graphical frontend, you still need the samba utils (smbmount,
smsmnt, smbumount) but you don't need to set up a full smb.conf or
anything).  After that, I use mksiofs to create the cd image, copy that to
the mounted W2k directory and burn it using the "Create CD from disk image"
option in the Adaptec software.

This method is limited to single session CDs at present, I experimented
with getting cdrecord to read multisession info from a CDROM drive but my
drive doesn't have the necessary command set to do so.

I have a semi-intelligent script available to create the ISO image (and
burn the CD if it's available under linux).  It checks the size of the
resulting image and checks for sufficient space to create it and even
asks!  If anyone wants it, just shout...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)