[Techtalk] Module question

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Fri May 17 20:34:23 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 17:51, Conor Daly wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:57:11AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
> Dave North thought:
> > On Tue, 7 May 2002, BUNTER MATTHEW wrote:
> > > I found out that the module is ne2000.o
> >
> > Uh oh. You may have some complications there. The ne2K is a weird offshoot
> > of NIC design and there are several driver issues associated with it (it's
> > basically sorta like a winmodem, or more accurately a novellnic. I have
> > one I *never* got to work under any circumstances, which is kind of
> > sad because it's the only thing that works in my old zenith notebook).
> > 	The point is, just because it works in one linux environment
> > doesn't mean it will work in another, and failure of configurations
> > becomes much more complicated.
> > 	For something of a run-down and problems you might confront (and
> > some solutions) consider perusing:
> > 	http://www.scyld.com/network/ne2k-pci.html
> >
> > I'm not saying the ne2k _won't_ work, but I am saying it will make
> > diagnostic problems a bit more complicated. If the opportunity presents
> > itself, old tulip cards can be had cheaply (but are hard to identify).
> > 	Currently I'm a 3com 3c905 fan, simply because they are easy to
> > identify and work everywhere. But they cost more, of course...
> > 	I wonder: what's the hot deal on good linux NICs these days?
> > Anybody?
>
> According to dmesg, I'm using a "RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet" card.
> EUR13 from www.marxcomputers.com uses module 8139too.o and was detected at
> boot under RH7.2.  /etc/modules.conf contains:
>
> # Network Card
> alias eth0 8139too
> omarx computers is based in Ireland so shipping to large countries around
> the world might be that little bit expensive!

Not really needed, as neraly all el-cheapo fast ethernet cards I can
think of have these chips. They aren't high end of course (they tend to
use more CPU than other NICs I've heard), but they do their job and
they're really cheap -- I just saw that I could get one for 13 EUR
(~11.7 US$) if I needed one now.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647
nils at fht-esslingen.de
        Ever noticed that common sense isn't really all that common?