[Techtalk] Re: [Grrls-only] Re: Setting up a server

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Thu May 16 15:54:52 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 13:04, Martha Montgomery wrote:

Moving this thread to techtalk. I think I've snipped everything
relevant to this issue (she also has an issue with her home LAN).

> So far they have about 7 computers, all stand alone, either
> running windows 98 or windows 95. The computers right now are basically
> used for games when the kid's homework is done. This summer after
> school is out, we plan to go in and wire the LAN into their room and
> hock up the computers on a switch. This giving the computers access to
> the internet, to help with their homework assignments.7 computers
> should not be a problem for that.
>
> What I just found out a few days ago, is another group, wants to take
> over the basement basically, and set up about 30 donated computers,
> that will be able to teach computers to adults. Things like excel and
> Word and skills they will need in the workplace.
>
> I know absolutely nothing about apache server.. or any of the other
> server software that came with SUSE. It is supposed to have like 2300
> programs in the package... so much software.. Which programs should I
> start learning first... any help would be appreciated.

You do NOT need special 'server' software to run a Linux server. Just
install and run a Linux system with plenty of disk space, then run the
software that provides the specific services you want.

Apache, for instance, is an http (web) server. It runs websites. If you
don't want to run a website, you don't need apache.

It seems to me that what you want at this stage, at least to start with,
is a file server - a machine that holds the files the other computers
will need.
For that, you won't need much CPU or RAM (relatively speaking), as it
won't be running the software for the client machines. You will need
lots and lots of disk space.

If the other computers you will be using are planning to use Win95 and
Win98, you will need (as well as licences for all the other computers,
and for any non-free software on them) a SAMBA file server system on the
Linux machine. There are alternatives, but Samba is the one most people
seem to use.

Samba makes sure that the stuff on the Linux system is accessible to the
Windows world - that the shared drive is there in a way the Windows
computers expect.

There are two other major services I would expect you to will need. One
is the networking - you will probably want to run a Linux system
(possibly not the file server) as a firewall and gateway machine. This
will let you have all the other computers connect to the Internet
through this machine, so you can use this machine to partially defend
all those little Windows systems against the big bad Internet.
(Ok, I'm exaggerating. But only a little.)
You WILL want the advice of some of our experts when it comes to setting
this up. The comforting thing is that we have some VERY good experts at
this sort of stuff on the list.
(Experts: I'm trying to go for an as-few-machines-as-possible approach.
I know there are more secure layouts than this.)

The other major service you may want is a proxy server. I assume the
main type of internet access you plan to provide is HTTP, or web access?
If so, you can make it MUCH cheaper and MUCH faster by putting an http
proxy server between these kids and the 'net.
The convenient thing is that I've written several articles about my
favourite Open Source proxy server.. including an introduction. So I'm
just going to point to those for the moment.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/227
Look for 'Introduction to Squid', and read that first. Then read the
various other Squid articles.
(Do -not- install a transparent proxy, it's not worth the heartache.
I wrote that article because it's an overly common question.)

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/