[Techtalk] Install not picking up NIC

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Wed May 15 15:32:53 EST 2002

Matt,

If thats what you want to do, then fair enough. But I know I have deliberately avoided looking at ipchains, cause I dont want to learn chains and then have to start again and learn tables :)
Truthfully though, the two are very similar, and the concepts and most of the syntax from chains can be used with tables. Tables just has some extras (it can do stateful).
The other reason for the later version is syncookie protection, but that might or might not be of interest to you.

I can understand you being told to remove a lot of packages - the less you have on the machine the less there is to be exploited.

The modprobe command is simply run on a command line after the machine has booted. In your case "modprobe ne" should be all you need unless you have to fiddle around with paramters.
Its something that has to be run everytime you boot, hence my question about if you wanted this process to be automated.

To get it working on boot up to need to do a couple of things.

First you need to add the line
alias eth0 ne
to /etc/conf.modules (I think in 62 its still called conf.modules. At some point the same file has been renamed to modules.conf)

Then in /etc/sysconfing/network-scripts
you will need to create a file called:
ifcfg-eth0

This is what mine looks like:
DEVICE=eth0
BROADCAST=192.168.100.255
IPADDR=192.168.100.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.100.0
ONBOOT=yes

This is the interface pointing to my private network. I have second nic pointing to the internet. Whats your public interface, is it another nic or a modem or ?

The only problem is, depending on what that document of yours has said to delete, you might have been told to delete the very scripts that bring the interface up.
I guess I should have a look at that doc before I lead you a merry dance up the garden path.

If you want to consider iptables, then the netfilter website has some good howtos written by the guy that wrote netfilter itself.
http://netfilter.samba.org/
What I did was read the docs on that site, and then just asked questions about stuff I didnt understand. It is a bit overwhelming at first, you need to learn what bits are relevant to you and what arent.
As far as nat is concerned with tables, I can tell you how to do that in one line :)

I'm curious though why your current install of 62 didnt give you the opportunity to configure the nic. Maybe I should have a look at the document you are following :) Then I'll be in a much better position to help. But I'll tell you now I'm not sticking 62 on anything :) My firewall is running RH73. How I set it up was to to a basic install, then run netstat and nmap to see whats listening on what ports, and either shut the service down, bind it to another nic or uninstall the package that has the listening programme. Then I set up my ruleset for tables (including nat) and Bob is more or less your uncle :)
I know that Mandrake provide an alternate kernel called a secure kernel, but I've never played with that.

Dont apologise for the the length of the mail :) Its my turn now to write a long one :)

Hope I've helped some more, keep the questions coming, this is the stuff I love doing :) - But, caveat! I am by no means an expert at this !!

Hamster