[Techtalk] getting somewhere with this kernel.... dual kernel question...

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat May 11 18:51:29 EST 2002

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 04:02:48PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
James thought:
> On Fri, 10 May 2002, /dev/null wrote:
>
> > complaints to: /dev/null
> >
> > okay...! :-)
> >
> > thanks heaps everyong, i've now got the kernel compiled and lilo is happy...
> > doh, it helps it i copy the *compressed* image to /boot not the uncompressed! ;-)
> >
> > got one more question though...
> >
> > make modules is happy... spent ages making sure my modules didnt conflict...
> >
> > but make modules_install fails because its looking for System.map
>
> There should be a copy in the directory where you're building the kernel
> (assuming you've built the kernel first, then modules, then
> modules_install?)

More specifically, System.map is to be found in
/usr/src/linux-<VERSION>
while the compressed kernel will be in
/usr/src/linux-<VERSION>/arch/i386/boot
but I'm sure we all know that already... :-)

Incidentally, what is the System.map and is it relevant to the destination
machine when I compile a kernel on another box?

Conor (who just found out about System.map)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)