[Techtalk] getting somewhere with this kernel.... dual kernel question...

James jas at spamcop.net
Fri May 10 16:02:48 EST 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002, /dev/null wrote:

> complaints to: /dev/null
>
> okay...! :-)
>
> thanks heaps everyong, i've now got the kernel compiled and lilo is happy...
> doh, it helps it i copy the *compressed* image to /boot not the uncompressed! ;-)
>
> got one more question though...
>
> make modules is happy... spent ages making sure my modules didnt conflict...
>
> but make modules_install fails because its looking for System.map

There should be a copy in the directory where you're building the kernel
(assuming you've built the kernel first, then modules, then
modules_install?)

> i'm trying to compile 2.5.1 - and running 2.4.18... normally if i was
> just going to use the new kernel i'd copy across the new System.map...
> but what happens if i want to boot into 2.4.18 as well?... i have lilo
> entries for both...

Well, I have a System.map for each kernel in /boot with filenames like
System.map-2.4.9; a line in rc.sysinit then automatically symlinks
System.map to point to the version for the current kernel.

> just want to be safe in case 2.5.1 fails!

RedHat has a line which deals with this automatically: just put each
kernel's System.map in /boot/System.map-2.4.19 (or whatever), the startup
scripts will do the rest :)

James.